As a small business owner you probably have to juggle a number of roles in the business including reception, general manager, marketing manager, production manager and shipping clerk. Having said that, most small business owners also have to fill the important role as bookkeeper.
While bookkeeping is a statutory requirement, knowing your numbers is a critical part of running a successful business. In fact, up to date records lets you make informed business decisions and they also let you do year-end tax planning.
Make no mistake, your choice of accounting software is a very important business decision and we describe it as one of the foundation stones of your business. All too often we inherit clients who are using the wrong software in their business and as a consequence, they produce records that are nothing more than a ‘computerised shoebox’. This creates frustration and additional costs which conflicts with our client brief of helping you reduce the cost of compliance. For that reason, we also offer you and your staff training to use the software. The truth is, we want to be your accountant not your bookkeeper and spend more time together working ON your business and your marketing.
When it comes to accounting software, one size certainly doesn't fit all. When recommending the most appropriate accounting software program for clients we always address these three key questions:
- What Does Your Business Need? - Payroll, inventory, debtors, creditors, invoicing, Point of Sale or a full blown general ledger that lets you produce your own financial statements?
- What is your level of accounting skill?
- Do you want to use a cloud accounting program or a desktop package?
As such, your choice of accounting software will depend on your business needs, level of accounting skill and preference for a cloud based solution. For this reason we support a number of programs including Cashflow Manager, MYOB, Reckon (QuickBooks) and the cloud based solutions Xero (pronounced zero) and Saasu.
Of course, in some instances you might be too busy to handle the bookkeeping function so we also offer you a full bookkeeping service. We can handle your bookkeeping so you can spend more time working ON your business and your marketing. Alternatively, if you appoint an external bookkeeper we are happy to liaise and work with them.
CLOUD or CONVENTIONAL?
Increasingly our clients are opting for cloud based bookkeeping solutions because they let you run your business from work, home or on the go. All you need is an internet connection and your password. You can then access your data files via the internet and invite your accountant or bookkeeper to view your accounts at the same time. This means you can get bookkeeping assistance and valuable advice in real-time.
Cloud based programs like Xero allow you to log in to your data anytime from anywhere on your Mac, PC, tablet or smart phone. You can get a real-time view of your cashflow and while there are several cloud based accounting software programs on the market, we emphasise the need to consult with us first as the wrong program can prove costly in the long run.
Cloud based (online) bookkeeping has a number of advantages over traditional desktop bookkeeping and you have the freedom to view your financial data from wherever you are, no matter the device and there’s no more waiting to update your financial records on the office computer. Your data is never out-of-date and software updates are free and automatically installed when you login, saving you the need to purchase the newest version of the software. There’s no need for data back-ups as they are automatically done for you and you can work on any system including a Mac or Windows computer. Your data is also secure, even if your computer is lost or stolen.
If you're an ambitious business owner we invite you to book a FREE, one hour introductory consultation to discuss your bookkeeping and business requirements. You can expect practical business, tax, marketing and financial advice and to book a time, call us today on (03) 9742 3844 or complete your details in the box at the top right hand side of this page.
We provide accounting and bookkeeping services to business owners operating through all types of business structures including sole traders, partnerships, companies and trusts. Our services include but are not limited to:
- Software Selection and Set Up including Structure or Restructure of Your Chart of Accounts
- Bank Reconciliations on a Daily, Monthly or Quarterly Basis
- Quarterly Review of Financial Data including Expense Reallocations
- Preparation & Lodgement of Monthly, Quarterly or Annual Business Activity Statements
- Accounts Receivable – Preparation of Monthly Statements & Debt Collection
- Cash Flow Projections & Budgets
- Process Payroll & Sub-Contractor Payment Summaries.
- Cash Flow Budgets & Forecasts
- Preparation of Financial Statements - Profit & Loss Statements & Balance Sheets
- Quarterly or Monthly Superannuation Calculations (SGC and Salary Sacrifice)
- Payroll Tax Calculation & Returns
- Workers Compensation Calculation & Annual Certification
- Calculation of Leave Entitlements - Annual, Sick and Long Service Leave
- Reconciliation of Lodged Business Activity Statements - GST, PAYG Instalments and Withholding
- Review of Interim Financial Statements before Year End for Tax Planning
- Annual Company ASIC Return including Updating Director’s Details
- Preparation & Lodgement of Income Tax Returns - Individual, Company, Partnership and Trust
- Preparation of Annual PAYG Payment Summaries for Employees
- Termination Pay Calculations
- Trust Account Administration